Here I am in Copenhagen, Denmark for four months. I'll be using this blog to chronicle my adventures, experiences, travels, and emotions while I'm abroad. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Halfway Point Reflections

The halfway point of the semester fell on October 14, while Bri and I were in Barcelona with Dee and Marissa. I'm so glad we were with our friends from Villanova as we reached that milestone.

Finally, at this point in the semester, I know I can do this. Corny, I know. But it took me a long time to know that. Sometimes, I still have to convince myself it's true. Studying abroad has simultaneously been one of the hardest and most rewarding things I've ever done. I have now spent 9 full weeks away from home and the places and people I know. I will spend 7 more weeks the same way.

I have days where I wake up feeling energetic and excited, curious and content. Those days are frequent. I've realized they have been primarily while I have been traveling. I do LOVE the city of Copenhagen and being here. But I like moving around. I always have. It gives me a sense of purpose, motion, and progress. And I've realized my homesickness is totally under control and happiness levels are high while I travel.

There are other days (like today for example, my first day back in CPH after a lot of travel) where I wake up feeling a little lost. 7 more weeks is still a long time to have to wait 6 hours after waking up for your friends in America to wake up. It's a long time to not be able to call your family or friends, to have to plan Skype dates in advance and wonder if you'll be able to rely on technology to get in contact with the people you want to get in contact with.

One of the people I miss the absolute most apparently had a realization last night that he hadn't seen me in over two months. The text I got from him rang so true. It seems to have hit him in the same way it has hit me. Missing someone is uncomfortable. It's empty and daunting. And though every rational part of my being knows that soon I'll be reunited with those I miss and that technology makes staying in touch 100% possible, the emotional side of me is almost mourning the time I spend without those people I'm missing.

Luckily, my parents will be here in a little less than 2 weeks for a 10 day visit. I can't wait. I'm sure it will be refreshing and it will add a lot to my remaining time here. A taste of home. I wish though, that one or all of my siblings could come with them.

Being abroad has also made me realize my connection with my siblings. Many of you have seen my tattoo, the 3 simple words in Italian, "I Quattro Inseparabili." The inseparable four. Matt, Luke, Julia, and me. Every day, I can't help but think of how true it is. Not once have a gone through a day that I have not thought of each of them. Every amazing thing I see and every cool experience I have, I wish I could share them with them. I want them all to be seeing the things I'm seeing. I feel so connected to all of you even from so far away. Maybe it has to do with how we were raised, with genes, with our personalities, or any combination thereof. But I'm so lucky to have my siblings. I'm so lucky that I miss them so much. And I'm lucky to know I'll see them soon!

Despite my struggles, this is amazing. I'm meeting amazing people and doing amazing things. I'm taking incredible pictures. I feel myself growing as a person. I'm starting to understand the world a little differently. I try to take time regularly to reflect on how lucky I am to be doing everything I'm doing. More than anything, I think I'm learning about myself. I'm so grateful for everything, including the things that have made being away from home so hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment