Here I am in Copenhagen, Denmark for four months. I'll be using this blog to chronicle my adventures, experiences, travels, and emotions while I'm abroad. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Frustration.

It's only 12pm, and I'm so frustrated I could cry.

Went to the dentist this morning because I've been having pain in one of my teeth.

Back story: A few years ago, I cracked a molar chewing ice and had to have the crack filled. That molar also happens to be a baby tooth with no adult tooth behind it, so it will never fall out and will just be a baby tooth forever. It's been hurting for about 2 weeks, so I've been trying to make appointments and I've even gone to several walk-in hours at the dentist, but the language barrier makes this difficult and I keep getting told to come back a different time.

Anyway. Today, I get to the walk-in dentist at 7:45am because it opens at 8. There were already a few people there, and when I took a number, I was #11. Not bad.

So I waited. 11 is not called until 9:45. So at this point that's already 2 hours of waiting. They tell me immediately I need an x-ray to know anything. So I walk down the hall, wait 20 minutes for an x-ray, get an x-ray taken, then they send me back down the hall until someone can read the x-ray.

I wait until 11:30. Almost 4 hours of waiting, now. They finally call my name. This is the conversation I had with the dentist at this point:

Dentist (Pointing at the X-ray): This molar is a primary tooth (aka baby tooth)
Me: Yes, I know.
Dentist: It has a filling already.
Me: Yes, it does. I cracked the tooth a few years ago.
Dentist: You have pain?
Me: Yes, I told you. It hurts, but it isn't too bad.
Dentist: We can take it out to stop the pain.
Me: The tooth!?
Dentist: Yes.
Me: No, I don't want to remove the tooth. Why? Is there a cavity near or beneath the filling?
Dentist: There is some inflammation, but you can't really see on an x-ray.
Me: Ok so what does that mean?
Dentist: I don't know. We could do a temporary filling and see if that makes it better. We have to take this filling out to see if there is anything going on below.
Me: And if it gets better with a temporary filling?
Dentist: We'll put in a new permanent filling.
Me: And if a temporary filling doesn't help the pain?
Dentist: Root canal. But I've never heard of a root canal on a primary tooth. So I don't know. Also, we are too busy. No more patients today, you have to come back tomorrow morning at 8:15. We'll remove the filling and look underneath it then.

Case in point: I waited 4 hours at the dentist to be told that I need to come back tomorrow.

Ok, done wallowing. Off to write a paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment