Here I am in Copenhagen, Denmark for four months. I'll be using this blog to chronicle my adventures, experiences, travels, and emotions while I'm abroad. Enjoy!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Exploring Nyhavn and Classes Day 1

Yesterday, Bri and I spent the day exploring. We played a little hooky from the last day of orientation (shhhh) and went Southeast of city center, where we saw the Old Stock Exchange, Copenhagen's Parliament building, the Royal Palace, and other beautiful sites. The day had perfect weather (which I'm told again and again won't last), and I'm seeing how this city can be so enchanting. On the walk through the city, we came across 5 trampolines built directly into the sidewalk. Naturally, we stopped for some fun before moving on. 

The highlight of the day, though, was Nyhavn. Nyhavn, meaning "New Harbor" is one of the most well-known places in Copenhagen. And I now understand why. To say it's beautiful is an understatement. Located along man-made canals with glittering, clear water are gorgeous colored buildings, shops, schooners, and harbor boats.


Bri & me in Nyhavn


Me, Bri, Alia, Kalli, and Kelsey in Nyhavn

After exploring Nyhavn and its charm, Bri and I ventured one block to Ofelia Beach, which was featuring a sand sculpture contest exhibit. Below is a photograph of one the incredible sculptures. They were truly breathtaking. Across the canal from the exhibit is The Opera, an architecturally impressive building.

Bri & me at the sand sculpture exhibit

Sand sculptures with The Opera in the background

Bri, Alia, Kalli, Kelsey, and I ate lunch on the canal and explored the rest of of Nyhavn before returning to Nørrebro (near my dorm at Ravnsborggade) for the student activities fair.

Today was the first day of classes. I'm blessed and cursed to have all 5 of my classes on Mondays and Thursdays. Yes, that leaves Wednesday for field studies allotted to each class and Tuesdays and Fridays fully free, but on Mondays and Thursdays I'm in class from 8:30am- 4:10pm straight. It was rough. The classes, though some seemingly challenging, seem engaging and well worth my time.

Overall, I'm starting to feel as though I'll be able to call this city "home" for the next four months.

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks amazing and the glow on your face is priceless! Hope you are having the most amazing time!

    ReplyDelete