Here I am in Copenhagen, Denmark for four months. I'll be using this blog to chronicle my adventures, experiences, travels, and emotions while I'm abroad. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Eventful Days & Nights

I learned a quote today that I really love & is helping me:

"At vove er at tabe fodfaeste en kort stund. Ikke at vove er at miste sig selv." -Kierkegaard

Translation: "To dare to be adventurous is to lose your footing for a short time. Not to dare is to lose oneself."

These first days are so incredibly eventful, I can't seem to remember all of the wonderful things I'm doing.

I only have classes Mondays & Thursdays (8:30am-4:10pm straight, woof) & have field studies for classes Wednesdays. That schedule means I have the privilege of having Tuesdays and Fridays free!

Yesterday, on Friday,  I spent the morning organizing all of my school books & work, all the documents for Global Action House (the DIS Living & Learning Community I'm involved in), my DIS Volunteer Program plans, and trying to contact the Danish visiting family I've been assigned. After that, though, Bri and I went on a little adventure to buy a bike!

Backstory: A few days ago, a young Danish man heard us complaining to our friend Meghan that we didn't think the bike rental plan that DIS offers was the best deal we could find. He approached us and offered us the name of a bike shop in upper Nørrebro. We walked the 1.5km to the shop and were greeted by two of the nicest men who helped us buy VERY affordable bikes. They also promised they would buy the bikes back from us at the end of the semester. PERFECT!


Having a bike, even for the past 24 hours, has made getting around the city even more fun!

With a bike, my commute to classes is only about 10 minutes or less

Exploring the bar scene in the city has also been a treat. Last night, we found our way to a bar filled with mostly Danes (we tried to branch out of the few bars that all the DIS students frequent) and had a great time. The bar had a 90s theme and was filled with Danes singing/shouting the YMCA and Vengaboys' "Boom Boom Boom Boom". It was hysterical. The city stays up late and is very safe, which makes weekend nights a whole new experience.

I'm loving this city and this adventure, but I'm definitely missing home and Villanova, especially as everyone arrives back at school to start another fabulous semester. I hope you all have a wonderful time and I can't wait to be back at school with you!

1 comment:

  1. Pictures are terrific, feels like I am right there with you. Seems to be one of life's great experiences. Enjoy your classes too, have fun with the crime fiction. Love your volunteer gig. Lastly, I am so jealous!! :-)

    Love you and so proud of you too,
    Aunt Bobbie

    ReplyDelete