Here I am in Copenhagen, Denmark for four months. I'll be using this blog to chronicle my adventures, experiences, travels, and emotions while I'm abroad. Enjoy!

Monday, November 5, 2012

An Eventful Week in the Køb

The past week in The Køb has been busy. Mostly, it has been full of fun, exciting events. It's been a good week.

Caroline Garger visited me in Copenhagen starting Tuesday 10/30. This is so so exciting, because she is my first and only out- of-town visitor I'll be hosting this semester. On Tuesday almost as soon as she got to KBH, we went to have a hyggeligt dinner with some friends.

At Bri's house, we made a feast with Alia, Bri, Anna, Caroline, Carrie, Vince, and Emma. We made zucchini pasta (pasta made from zucchini) with homemade pesto, a pineapple, toasted pita with homemade guacamole, vegan cookie dough balls, and chocolate rice krispies. It was a feast complete with candles and the works.

Vegan cookie dough balls


Me, Bri, and Caroline spent most of Wednesday exploring Copenhagen. We showed Caroline Nyhavn (where we bravely drank a cider in the cold), explored Kobmagersgade and Stroget, and did a little shopping.

Wednesday night, HALLOWEEN, we put on some normal clothes, painted on a cat face, and hit the bars. We had a great time. We also ran into a crazy friend-of-a-friend situation when I ended up hanging out with someone who went to college with Jessie and Chris, two friends from Black Dog! Such a small world. I'll admit it ended up being a rough night for me (and next day....) but I had a great time with everyone.




Thursday, we spent much of the day lounging. I was feeling pretty sick, so many thanks to Bri and Caroline for nursing me back to health. Thursday night we had yet another hyggeligt night in preparation for a fun weekend. We made a homemade meal of eggplant parmesan, garlic bread, and a lemon pie courtesy of Caroline. We watched A Cinderella Story (classic) and tried not to pass out from being so full. ANOTHER great night with friends.

I'm looking a little rough, but it'll do.

Friday during the day, we did a lot of shopping and some more exploring the streets of Copenhagen. I wanted Caroline to just have a feel for the city. We got free crepes and hot cocoa at a DIS event, I forced Caroline to try a traditional Danish hot dog, and we just wandered until she had to leave in the afternoon.

After that, I got to go see Vince perform at the student recital. It was terrific. It was so nice to see some live music: I've really missed singing, performing, and watching people sing and perform while I've been abroad. Vince has a really beautiful tenor voice, and I feel lucky that I got to see him sing.

Saturday was a big day. Sensation was one of the biggest events to hit Denmark this year. Sensation was a massive (20,000 people) electro/dance show. It brought thousands of people from across Europe to Copenhagen, including some old friends of mine. Me, Alia, and Jackie Breckenridge, who was visiting from Berlin, Germany where she's studying for the semester, had a little Long Lake reunion.

Reunited with old Long Lakers :)

Back so Sensation. The show itself was ABSURD. It lasted from 7:30pm to 3am. The theme was Source of Light. All attendees dressed fully in white. The lights, performers, DJs, and music were all incredible. It was an insane experience to attend something so massive. I'm glad I did it, it was one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen. That being said, though, it's really not my scene. I'm so so glad I went, but it's not something I'd be able to make a habit of.




Sunday was completely spent doing homework. I wrote one 7-page paper and one 5-page paper and I studied for a Danish oral exam. Yes, I do homework.

I'm still having crazy amazing adventures abroad, but I'm so excited for my parents to come!! They get here Friday morning and I couldn't be more pumped for some family time. Also, I'm becoming aware that there are only 40 days left of my study abroad experience. While I'm so so excited to spend the next 40 days adventuring and exploring, I'm also getting really excited to come home. See you pretty soon, America!

And now... it's time to start another week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment